Tuesday, June 28

Stopped Clock and a Mint Julep


It's hot and lazy here and it never quite seems to be night, so why isn't 4 am a good time for a mint julep? It feels like it could be 4 in the afternoon and that's almost happy hour. So it's almost justified.
I've been making syrups lately to add to cocktails; the simplest, most obviously easy and versatile for summer seemed to be mint. I bowed to logic (after dreams of cinnamon syrup) and made a batch. It turned out really well, we've only made it into mint juleps so far but I have high hopes and a long list of combinations to try with it!

Mint Syrup

2 cups sugar 
2 cups water
1/2 cup ripped mint leaves
  • add all the ingredients together and bring to a boil.
  • continue to boil until the syrup is reduced by a third or coats a spoon when you test it. Chill it and that's all! So simple I'm not sure why I haven't been doing it longer.


My Mint Julep

1 oz bourbon
1 tbs mint syrup
1 oz sparkling water with lemon twist
2 mint leaves 
2 ice cubes
  • add the syrup, the bourbon, the sparkling water and then gently stir. 
  • add the ice and the mint leaves, gently stir once more and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment