Thursday, May 5

Masala Chai


It's still cold; maybe I blinked and summer passed because this could almost be autumn.  I need something to warm up with and masala chai is about as cozy as anything gets.  I usually drink it in the fall, it's spicy and sweet, creamy and fragrant and that's pretty much what fall food is about for me, but this weeks weather makes it feel appropriate, shiver.

Masala Chai


2 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks
8 cloves
8 cardamom pods
2 cup whole milk
4 tbs sugar (or honey)
1 black tea bag (I used Earl Grey)
  • Boil the water and spices til the water is reduced to about 3/4 cup, then add in the milk and the tea bag.
  • Turn down the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes carefully watching that the milk doesn't bubble up and overflow (like mine did, not as diligent as I should be).  Remove from the heat.
  • Remove the tea bag and stir in the sugar til dissolved.  Strain into two cups and there you have it, masala chai.


 Dead Hearts by Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment