Tuesday, May 3

Summery Couscous Salad

I realize couscous is pasta, that is a fact.  But when I eat it this way it's just about the healthiest tasting thing I've ever encountered.  I don't mean healthy like the crazy smoothies made of weird green vegetables and flax that get you higher than caffeine, I mean I feel great when I eat it.  I feel like I've done myself a favour, like I've eaten a summer day, like my stomach's in a good mood (for once).


Summery Couscous Salad (adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe in Jamie's Dinners)

I usually make a huge amount of this, and honestly it doesn't last, but the measurements aren't really that important and should be adjusted to taste and convenience.

1 1/2 cup couscous
1 1/2 cup water
salt & pepper
olive oil
1 cucumber
10 cherry tomatoes
2 large tomatoes
1 red onion
4 oz feta
2 lemons
1 bunch parsley
hummus

  • Bring the water to a boil then turn off the heat and add the couscous, a dash of salt and 1 tbs of olive oil. Cover and let sit about 7 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, chop all the vegetables (excepting the cherry tomatoes) into small cubes, or really whatever size and shape you prefer. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.  Finely chop the parsley, making sure no stems are allowed to remain (truly an unpleasant surprise in your salad). Cut the feta into small cubes as well.  All this can be added into a large mixing bowl.

  • Remove the lid from the couscous and 'fluff' it with a fork, maybe adding another tbs of olive oil if it's a bit too sticky.
  • Pour 3 tbs olive oil and the juice from both the lemons over the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.  Til you're quite sure it's all been coated. 

  • Now add the couscous and mix thoroughly once more, and presto chango that's it! I like to serve it with a big dollop of hummus but I'll put hummus on pretty much anything and this is wonderful all by itself if you prefer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment