Friday, June 3

Cherry Clafoutis

I bought two bags of cherries from the farmers market because they were pretty, because I like cherries, because it's almost summer and I go crazy preserving things in summer. It's my pioneer ancestry asserting itself. But I also have more ambition than energy; so my poor cherries sat in their paper bags unpreserved for days despite my good intentions. They weighed heavily on my conscience until finally I could stand it no longer and chose a simpler way of using them (I'm still hoping to preserve them in some sort of liquor later though!): cherry clafoutis. It's light, elegant (food can be elegant), easy and delightful!


I invested in a pitter and I must say, it was worth it. Maybe I don't pit cherries that often but it just makes the process so much less arduous.  An now I'll be even more inclined to bake with cherries!


Cherry Clafoutis      adapted from Gourmet Baking


400 ml heavy cream
200 ml whole milk
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
110 g sugar
140 g flour
1 tbs cointreau
as many pitted cherries as you would like in a 9" pie dish (lots!)

  • preheat oven to 375F
  • mix together the milk, cream and vanilla. Set aside
  • whisk together the eggs, then mix in the sugar and flour til a thick batter is formed.
  • add the cointreau to the milk and then mix in the egg batter til the whole mixture is smooth
  • space the pitted cherries out evenly in a greased 9" pie dish, then pour on top the batter
  • place in oven and bake 30-40 minutes, or til the clafoutis is a little browned on top and just set
  • serve warm or at room temperature (I baked mine in the morning and served it room temperature for dessert)

No comments:

Post a Comment