Thursday, July 7

Seared Tuna


If there's seared tuna on a menu I almost always order it. I have dreams of a restaurant in Palm Springs with spicy tuna lollipops, it haunts me. Tuna is most definitely my favourite fish. The colour, texture, just everything about it screams my name. I love it. I'm full from eating it just now and I'm still considering another helping because just writing about it is making me hungry again.
That being said, this is only the second time I've cooked it myself. It's a little intimidating. It's been a success both times though so I'm losing my wariness and would suggest it to anyone. It's fast, healthy and just generally delicious. Remember the fast part, it's very easy to very overcook! It should be the last thing you prepare. I served this with a light, sweet and tangy salad and sticky rice.



Salad

1 cucumber 
2 avocados 
1 mango 
1/2 smal red onion sliced thinly
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbs jalapeño lemongrass syrup (or honey)
1 tbs lime and plum vinegar (or more lime juice or rice wine vinegar)
1 tsp sesame oil
  • slice the mango, cucumber and avocado into cubes and place in the salad bowl with the sliced red onion
  • mix together the syrup, vinegar and oil vigorously with a fork then pour over the salad
  • stir the salad so it is well coated with the dressing

Sauce for the Tuna

3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs mirin vinegar
2 tbs jalapeño lemongrass syrup
  • mix all ingredient together and set aside


Seared Tuna

2  4 oz tuna steaks (I had 3 3 oz)
1/2 cup black sesame seeds
salt and pepper
pickled ginger  and sliced green onions to garnish
sticky rice
  • season the tuna with salt and pepper
  • spread the sesame seeds on a flat surface and press the tuna into the seeds on all sides till it's completely covered.
  • heat 1 tbs sesame oil over high heat in a frying pan
  • fry the tuna for 45 seconds each side (longer if you prefer it more well done) then remove from the heat and slice lengthwise.
  • serve over rice and drizzle with the sauce. Garnish with the pickled ginger and green onions.




No comments:

Post a Comment